Skip to main content

Federal Programs

American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Act (ARP ESSER)

Byng Public Schools has recevied funds through the American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Act (ARP ESSER).  The purpose of these funds are to effectively prevent, prepare for, and respond to the effects of COVID-19. 

Two required componenets of the American Rescue Plan -Elementary and Secondary Relief Fund are the following:

Safe Return Plan

ARP ESSER III Spending Plan

Byng Public Schools will continue to communicate plans on the district website.

The plans will also be evaluated at least once every six months.




Federal funds received by Byng Public Schools allow us to implement research-based initiatives that supplement and enhance our School’s outstanding educational programs.  Title I is the Federal program that provides funding to school districts to improve the academic achievement of disadvantaged students and is part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act first passed in 1965.  The Act is reauthorized by Congress, and often given a new name.  In 2002 it was reauthorized as the No Child Left Behind Act.  Most recently, it was reauthorized in 2015 as the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).

Sites qualify for Title I funding based upon their free or reduced lunch percentage.  All Byng Schools are designated as schoolwide sites, which are able to use Title I, Part A funds to supplement services, programs and activities that impact the entire school population.  The programs must use effective methods and instructional strategies that are grounded in scientifically-based research.  Services are determined by each school’s yearly schoolwide plan.  

The McKinney-Vento 

Homeless Education Assistance Act

The federal definition of homelessness used by all public schools in the United States includes children and youth who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This definition specifically includes children and youth living in shelters, transitional housing, cars, campgrounds, motels, and sharing the housing of others temporarily due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reasons. This is the same definition of homelessness used by Head Start, special education, child nutrition, and other federal family and youth programs.

At Byng, students are primarily identified at enrollment or through the school Counselor.  Families or students who believe that they are homeless, should identify themselves as such to the school Counselor.

Byng Public Schools is required to identify a person to act as a Homeless Liaison.  This person's duties involve training school staff in identification procedures, serving as an advocate for homeless students, arranging for services and arbitrating disputes that may arise.

Byng’s Homeless Liaison is Shawna Brecheen, Byng Schools Social Worker, she may be reached at 580-310-6771.



Report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse.  To report fraud, waste, abuse, misuse or mismanagement of U.S. Department of Education (ED) program funds (this could include complaints concerning employees, fund recipients, educational institutions, contractors, collection agencies, or lending institutions), please use the online Hotline Complaint Form.

If you prefer, you may contact the Inspector General's Hotline by:

  • Calling the OIG Hotline's toll-free number 1-800-MIS-USED. Hotline Operators take calls during the hours of Monday and Wednesday 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM, Eastern Time; Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM, Eastern Time except for holidays.
  • Downloading a hard copy of the Hotline Complaint Form , and completing, mailing or faxing to:

Inspector General's Hotline 
Office of Inspector General
U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.

Washington, D.C. 20202-1500

Fax: (202) 245-7047


Your report may be made anonymously or in confidence. No classified information should be submitted to the Hotline. If your complaint involves classified information, please submit your contact information to the Hotline (via phone or complaint form) and request that you be contacted to make separate arrangements so we can receive your complaint.


The district receives federal funds and has established a complaint process to help ensure compliance with federal grant requirements. Any student, parent, community member or employee who believes the district has violated any regulation connected with the expenditure of federal funds should notify the district using the process outlined in the Board of Education Policy, which governs complaints.



District Calendar

Upcoming Events